Sunday, October 9, 2011

African Burial Ground Review


I have just returned from New York, and boy am I tired. The reason I went to New York was to visit the African Burial ground. The African Burial ground was quite intriguing, yet I had went before and I really did not learn anything new. I will explain some of my favorite parts of the trip.

What I did like about the African Burial ground this time was that I had more time to look around the memorial. I also was able to watch a libation ceremony where Dr. Carr spoke and was followed by drum circle. This time also there was an event going on during the same time we were there called “youth week”. I was also able to see a poetry slam with some really beautiful poems spoken from the heart. This time was also a bit different because I was able to learn not only about the Africans buried there, but also about some Native American history from a showcase hosted there.

I will not go into detail about what I learned and saw on this trip this time, because I already have been twice in the past 3 years (this time third). Yet, there were still some things that were a bit different than the times before.

No comments:

Post a Comment